Class members are:
Pictured from left to right starting with the bottom row: Teddy Tyler, Lacy Edwards, Tammy Byrd, Rachel Pinson, Adam Pinson; second row: Lee Perryman, speaker, Geri Davee, Debe Hooley, Meghan Henley, Brian Collins, Jon Segars; third row: Willis Whatley, Alex Brooks, Martez McGowan, Jeff Harris, Jennie Williams, Lisa Murphy, Todd Lessard, R.D. Morris Jr.; fourth row: Mike Landers, Gerald Reed, not pictured are Todd Adams, Randie Caroline Caine, Chantel DeRoche,Jeff Harrison, Sabrina Hunt, Madisyn Vincent
Click Here for Printable Application (pdf)
Click Here to View Leadership Alumni (pdf)
Leadership Sylacauga is designed to prepare leaders in Sylacauga from all walks of life for an active role in community affairs. The participants will be comprised of leaders and potential leaders of this area. The program objectives are to develop an increased awareness of, and provide a rationale for involvement in current issues, opportunities and problems affecting Sylacauga. Participants will receive an in-depth view of our civic and governmental leadership through face-to-face discussions with present community leaders and direct contact with the institutions that keep Sylacauga moving forward. These learning experiences will accelerate the process of building a resource of community leaders. Leadership Sylacauga will be a unique experience for participants and will have an immediate, positive, and long-lasting effect on them, their organizations, and their community.
What Can Participants Expect?
Leadership Sylacauga will begin in September with a required kickoff retreat. A reception, get acquainted activities, and presentations by leadership alumni will start out activities on Thursday. Personality evaluations and group dynamics will be presented on Friday. Leadership Sylacauga will then meet for day-long sessions on the second Thursday of each month beginning in October and ending with a recognition banquet in May.
Leadership Sylacauga will provide extensive exploration of Education, Law Enforcement, Local Government, Media and Quality of Life, Health and Human Services, State Government, and Economic Development and Industrial Relations with emphasis on existing industry. Quality speakers and panelists representing every aspect of the community will serve as resources for our in-depth look at Sylacauga.
What are the Goals?
Leadership Sylacauga is designed to identify, develop, and build upon leadership resources in Sylacauga. The goals of the program are:
- To motivate participants to achieve their individual leadership potential.
- To create the opportunity for participants to come to know, respect, and establish a rapport with each other.
To bring together participants and current leaders to discuss the presentation and future direction of Sylacauga.
- To challenge participants to greater involvement through volunteer roles in the community.
- To enhance the leadership skills of participants and improve their effectiveness in the community.
To examine programs, agencies, and institutions that currently operate in Sylacauga.
How Much Time Will Be Required?
- The applicant and CEO or immediate supervisor are asked to commit to the attendance and participation policies of the program.
- In order to graduate from Leadership Sylacauga, the participant must attend at least 70 hours of the scheduled program. In addition to the scheduled program, outside activities will be required.
Participant Selection Process
- Applications are available to those who work and reside in the Sylacauga area.
- Nominees should be individuals who have strong leadership qualities and who would contribute to and benefit from Leadership Sylacauga.
- All nominees will be asked to complete an application form and return it to the Chamber of Commerce with a non-refundable $10.00 application fee.
- A selection committee will review all applications and select 30 participants. The committee will attempt to represent the full spectrum of agencies and organization in Sylacauga.
Upon notification of acceptance, the $450 tuition check must be received within ten calendar days or the position will be awarded to an alternate.
- Because of the need to represent the diverse agencies and organizations in the community, no organization is guaranteed a representation.
- Because of limited class space, applicants not accepted in this year's class will be put on the list for next year's class.
Leadership Sylacauga has had a total number of 457
participants since the program started in 1991.
If you would like more information about this program or if you have participated in Leadership Sylacauga and do not see your name listed, please contact the Sylacauga Chamber of Commerce at 256-249-0308 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click Here to View Leadership Alumni (pdf)